City of Maynard
135 3rd Street South
Maynard, IA 50655
The first entry made in Harlan Township was by Henry Maynard in
1851, but he did not come from Illinois to live on the land
until 1861. George Rich also made a claim just south of Henry
1861 and moved his family from Belvidere, Illinois.
Maynard is located on parts of four sections at the center of
township, sections 14, 15, 22, and 23.
In the fall of 1855 C.M. Shanklin built a log house and in the
spring of 1856 moved his family from Illinois. This log cabin
came to be the favorite station for the illegal Underground
Railway that ran its stealthy trail through what was known then
as Long Grove. It is said that many a runaway slave were
smuggled in and out by means of a load of hay or secretive
Up to this time the settlement was called Long Grove, for the
stretch of virgin timber along this branch of the Volga River.
The town was not laid out until the construction of the
Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Minnesota Railroad was assured in
the early seventies. Maynard was laid out in 1872-1873 by J.J.
Berkey of West Union.
There was another Long Grove in southeastern Iowa so it was
necessary to find a new name for the town. Judge Green gave it
the name of "Maynard" after Henry Maynard who had donated
the land as the site for the first depot.
Maynard is located in a tranquil setting of beautiful wooded
area through which flows the gentle winding Volga River, which
provides many recreational pleasures for young and old. Maynard
is located in Fayette, County, 22 miles south of the county seat
of West Union and 8 miles north of Oelwein on Highway 150.
Maynard is the only town in Harlan Township.
Fayette County 911